Identifying the current software version
Volirium will periodically issue firmware updates for the Flytec Balloon 4, to improve its functionality and offer new features. It is important to always upgrade to the latest firmware version. The current version of your software is indicated when starting up your Flytec Balloon 4, or in the Menu under Device-About, the number on the first line.
Never miss a new version: | Sign up for our newsletter to be notified when we release an update.
Note: Your Element consumes battery power when in USB mode. Do not leave it connected to your computer for an extended period of time as this will drain the vario's battery.
Note: Be sure your Flytec Balloon 4's batteries are fully charged before installing new firmware! If the vario runs out of battery power while it is updating its firmware, it may not work properly afterwards.
Installing a firmware update
When you connect your Flytec Balloon 4 to a computer it will appear as an external hard drive. On this drive you find the program "FB_Actualizer". Run this program occasionally, or after receiving notice of a new version | through our newsletter. The FB_Actualizer program will establish a connection with our server to search for new software, and guide you automatically through the update process.
To complete the installation:
- Click Eject (Mac) or Disconnect Safely (Windows PC) before disconnecting your Flytec Balloon 4 from your computer
- Switch on your Flytec Balloon 4 by pressing
- Confirm Update? by pressing
Your Flytec Balloon 4 will read the new firmware and automatically update itself. This will take about 5 minutes. The firmware file remains in the update folder after the update, but its ending changes from .upg to ._pg. If you change the ending back to .upg, your Flytec Balloon 4 will offer to re-install this version the next time you turn it on.
When updating the software, you may get one of five error messages.
- Error 1: There is no update file. Go through the procedure above and try again.
- Error 2: The update file is corrupt. Go through the procedure above and try again.
- Error 3: There is more than one vaild update file. Check the contents of your update folder and ensure there is only one file ending in .upg
- Error 4: An error occurred in the Element’s sub-processor. Try again and if it keeps failing, contact our technical support.
- Error 5: An error occurred in the Element’s main processor. Try again and if it keeps failing, contact our technical support.